It is no more business as usual, says new Gombe Gov

0
Share

Hon. Justice Heman Akila, CON, on Wednesday, swore in Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya and Dr. Manassah Daniel Jatau PhD, as Governor and Deputy Governor of Gombe State at 11:02 a.m. and 10:50 a.m. respectively.

They were flanked by members of their immediate families.

Governor Inuwa in his inauguration speech thanked those who made the victory of party possible.

He said, “I’m immensely grateful. I’m grateful to the people of Gombe state.

“I salute their resolve to cast their votes and also (willingness) wait to see that it counted. I’m gratified by the support of fellow governorship aspirants in our party and other party candidates. I’m glad at the neutrality of our traditional rulers. The resolve of our women and youths who resisted overwhelming intimidation.

“Gombe is blessed with enormous resources, it is unfortunate that our people are battling with a lack of potable water, irregular power supply. The transition committee revealed the debt profile of the state, lack of maternal and childcare, high number of out-of-school children.

“We have resolved to formulate policies aimed at creating jobs. It is not going to be business as usual. We shall provide an enabling environment. We will increase the water supply. We will explore Balanga Dam. The water board is directed to supply water to Gombe metropolis and environs daily.

“We are passionate about addressing issues facing them, we shall review our security architecture. We shall work closely with security agencies.

“I hereby direct Local Government secretaries to take charge. Any contract entered from 10th of March are hereby suspended. I call on our people to be ready to make sacrifices,” he stated.

The inauguration ceremony held at the Pantami Stadium, Gombe state.

It had in attendance heads of government agencies and members of Gombe traditional rulers council, members of All Progressives Congress, invited guests and members of the diplomatic corps.

The immediate past governor Dr. Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo was absent at the event.

One of the boys — who was referred as “Boy A” throughout the six-week trial of Ana Kriegel’s murder — was found guilty by a jury at Central Criminal Court Tuesday of aggravated sexual assault, according to Britain’s Press Association (PA) news agency.
Both boys, who were 13 at the time of the crime, pleaded not guilty of murdering Kriegel, according to CNN affiliate, Ireland’s Virgin Media One. They have been granted anonymity due to their age.
Kriegel had been lured from her home by “Boy B” on May 14, 2018 and told that Boy A wanted to meet her at the park, Virgin Media One reported. It’s believed Kriegel was dead within 45 minutes of leaving her home. Her body was found three days later.
The 14-year-old schoolgirl was found naked with extensive injuries to her head and body, as well as a ligature around her neck at an abandoned farmhouse in the suburb of Lucan, the TV channel reported.

According to PA, former state pathologist Professor Marie Cassidy identified 50 areas of injury and concluded Kriegel’s cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head and neck.
CCTV showed Kriegel walking to the park with Boy B, according to Virgin Media One, and Boy A was later seen around 5:30 p.m. limping with blood on his clothes and face.
Kriegel’s parents, Patric and Geraldine Kriegel, had told the court that the 14-year-old had been bullied at school and that her mother was “immediately concerned” after she found out her daughter had left with one of the boys, according to PA.
Following the six-week trial, the jury — made up of eight men and four women — deliberated for 14 hours and 25 minutes before handing down their guilty verdict on Tuesday, PA reported.
Kriegel’s parents told media afterward that their daughter had been their “strength.”
“Ana was a dream come true to us and she always will be,” her mother said. “She will stay in our hearts forever loved and forever cherished. We love you, Ana.”
Life sentences are not mandatory for children, Virgin Media One reported, adding that the trial judge can exercise discretion to the structure of the boys’ sentences. Both will appear again in court next month on July 15.

Florida man accused in flamingo’s death fatally struck by truck

0

Joseph Corrao was two months away from standing trial over the death of the flamingo, named Pinky, at Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Image: A Chilean flamingo named Pinky is pictured in Busch Gardens, in Tampa Bay, Florida
A Chilean flamingo named Pinky.Busch Gardens Tampa Bay via Reuters

The Tampa Bay Times is reporting that The Florida Highway Patrol says 48-year-old Joseph Corrao was killed June 5 as he crossed a busy road in Orlando.

Correa was accused of grabbing the Chilean flamingo from a pen and slamming it to the ground while visiting the Tampa theme park with his mother and daughters. The severely injured flamingo had to be euthanized.

Corrao told police he was trying to show off to his daughter and didn’t mean to harm Pinky. He spent five days in jail on a felony charge of animal cruelty.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Socials

May 2019
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031