Dillian Whyte has been the WBC’s number one ranked fighter for around 600 days and still cannot get a shot at WBC champion Deontay Wilder.
It seems like boxing is the only sport where that is possible at times. Whyte is on a nine-fight win streak heading into his clash with Oscar Rivas on July 20, a fight that promoter Eddie Hearn had hoped the WBC would ratify as a final eliminator.
Whyte has previously suggested Wilder is avoiding facing him and the WBC might even be complicit with the champion, but Wilder’s co-manager and trainer Jay Deas says he has ‘no problem’ fighting talkSPORT.com columnist Whyte.
“I really don’t know much about Dillian Whyte’s situation or how accurate it is (that he’s been due a shot for 600 days). I know Deontay has always wanted the biggest fights. He’s never ducked anyone,” Deas exclusively told World Boxing News.
“Like everyone knows, now Deontay is getting the biggest fights. Deontay has Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury in sight. But I know he has no problem in fighting Whyte or anyone else after that.
“I don’t know the exact timetable on the situation.
“I have to admit that I don’t know a lot about Whyte’s career. But what I do know is that after the Joshua loss he seems to have put together some good wins.
“Deontay has no problem with that fight.”
The issue is that Wilder has got himself booked up pretty solid. First, he has a date with Luis Ortiz before fighting Fury early in 2020.
Fury says there is a trilogy fight included in the contract whatever the result, so Whyte is going to be in the queue for at least a year, if not more judging by that