Police investigating rape allegations against Brazilian football player Neymar say they have closed the case.
The São Paulo attorney general’s office said the case was suspended due to a lack of evidence, but will be sent to prosecutors for a final decision.
The investigation was opened after Brazilian model Najila Trindade alleged the footballer attacked her in a hotel in Paris, France, in May.
Neymar has denied the accusations, saying he is being extorted.
A spokesman for Neymar told AFP that he was not able to comment on the police decision.
The case has gripped Brazil, where it has dominated newspaper headlines.
It first came to light in June, when the Paris St-Germain star released a seven minute video on Instagram revealing that he had been accused of rape. He also published Whatsapp messages and images that he claimed to be of the woman.
In the video he says he had to make them public to “prove that nothing really happened”.
Ms Trindade then went public, giving a television interview and releasing footage and a video clip purportedly showing an altercation between the two.
Police later filed a defamation suit against Ms Trindade, who allegedly insinuated the force was corrupt, according to news agency AFP.
The model was also dropped by several lawyers.
- Liverpool will be offered Marco Asensio as Real Madrid eye a mega Sadio Mane swap deal.
- Leeds will complete the signing of Premier League star Helder Costa from Wolves next week.
- Manchester United are trying to hijack Antoine Griezmann’s £120m transfer to Barcelona from Atletico Madrid by warning him he is the Catalans’ second choice behind Neymar.
- Borussia Dortmund’s £15m-rated starlet Jacob Bruun Larsen is at the centre of a three-way battle between Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal.
- Southampton’s £8m striker Charlie Austin will spark a four-way transfer scramble between Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Fulham and West Brom.
- Christian Eriksen’s family have been spotted house-hunting in Madrid – fuelling speculation he could be on his way out of Tottenham.
- Wayne Rooney reckons the best manager he has worked with is Louis van Gaal, not Sir Alex Ferguson.
- Frank Lampard will prioritise securing the future of Callum Hudson-Odoi when he takes over as Chelsea manager.
- Manchester United are confident Marcus Rashford will sign a new £250k-a-week, five-year deal before their pre-season tour.
- Chelsea have reportedly informed Atletico Madrid that they will recall Alvaro Morata from his loan spell unless the Spanish side sign him permanently this summer.
- Manchester United have reportedly contacted Barcelona for a second time to enquire about the availability of Ivan Rakitic.
- Chelsea suffered major embarrassment on Saturday night when they accidentally announced the signing of Mateo Kovacic on the club’s mobile app.
- Tottenham youngster Albert Rachi has hinted a move to Rangers could be in the offing.
- Manchester United are set to launch a sensational £50m bid for Aston Villa’s John McGinn that would smash the transfer record for a Scot.