Manchester City are in talks with Juventus over a deal to sign Portugal right-back Joao Cancelo with Brazil full-back Danilo moving the other way.
There is no agreement yet but City manager Pep Guardiola is keen to strengthen his options on the right.
City, who also have £45m England right-back Kyle Walker in their squad, are expected to pay a fee in addition to 28-year-old Danilo joining Juve.
Cancelo, 25, has also played further forward as well as at left-back.
He joined Juventus from Valencia for £35m in 2018 after spending a season on loan at Inter Milan.
Cancelo was part of the Portugal squad that won the Nations League earlier this summer although he did not play.
City signed Danilo from Real Madrid for £26.5m in 2017.
He has been involved in the Blues’ back-to-back Premier League title wins but has rarely been viewed as a first-choice.
Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward says “everyone at the club” is determined to bring back success by winning trophies.
“We and our growing global fanbase demand success,” said Woodward. “Success means winning trophies and that target has never changed.”
‘It is important we are patient’
United have started this season disappointingly under new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Sunday’s 2-0 defeat at West Ham left them seven points behind leaders Liverpool and trailing Leicester, West Ham and Bournemouth.
Former boss Jose Mourinho, former captain Roy Keane and former Liverpool boss Graeme Souness were damning in their condemnation of the club on Sky Sports on Sunday, adding their voices to allegations from supporters on social media that the club are more interested in finance than football.
Those comments are rejected by United sources, who say the club’s commercial income, which has fallen slightly to £275.1m – 44% of overall revenue – exists to help the football side of the club, not diminish it.
“The progress we have made on the business side underpins continued investment in the football side,” said Woodward, who added that investments made, particularly around the recruitment department, ‘have given us the building blocks for success’.
“We are confident this investment will deliver results but it is important we are patient while Ole builds for the future.”
This summer, United spent £145m on three players, Harry Maguire, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James. In addition, Marcus Rashford, David de Gea and Victor Lindelof are among the first-team players to get significant new contracts.
United say they are happy with their summer business, with Woodward feeling the approach was the right one.
It is understood the club are open to reviewing the football structure and personnel within it amid anticipation of the appointment of a technical director, something United themselves raised in the wake of Mourinho’s exit last December.
However, Woodward says the future direction of the club is set.
“Returning to the roots of club’s ethos of youth-led attacking football is the right way forward,” he said.
“We won’t be influenced by short-term distractions.”