MUSIC: HOW FAR HAVE WE COME?
It is a fact that music is therapeutic, a means to relax, and for celebration among other things. In times past, we had the singers from Africa who sang about freedom from oppression, Black rappers in America who used rap to advocate for the end of racism. Majorly, in past times., Music was used to pass messages that were positive and meant to correct societal ills. Examples of some of these musicians include Reggae legend, Bob Marley, the king of pop, Michael Jackson, Lucky Dube, Afro-beat Legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti amongst others.
However, as time has gone by, things have changed and the dynamics of Music has changed. Well, some could attribute it to the fact that racism is no longer rampant in the world again, oppression is a concept that has been kicked against worldwide, among other reasons. However, we would be kidding ourselves if we were to deny the fact that generally, the message the music, through various artistes in the modern day pass across. We now have music artistes who pass messages through their music, that speak of violence, sex, objectification of the female gender, internet fraud, drugs among other things.
While many may argue that everyone has the rights too express themselves through any medium, it is important to note that when these rights are expressed in ways that affect the society negatively, they should be curtailed.
At this point, it is pertinent for us to examine the effect that the message that the music of nowadays passes down to the present generation.
First, it is pertinent that we examine things from Nigeria before we go abroad. In recent times, different songs have been released which inadvertently glorify internet fraud, sex, and getting rich quickly. By consequence, this has aroused the curiosity of the youths of today and had made them to begin to search for wealth by all means in order to satisfy their desires and live life as portrayed to them by these artistes. This has caused an increase in crime rate, rape amongst other nefarious activities.
Going abroad, although there are some musicians that sing messages that pass proper messages, many of them sing songs that speak of the craze for wealth, sex, and violence among other things. Some might argue that these things are not caused by the songs that musicians sing as people who indulge in these vices have minds of their own. However, it is important to note that as music is therapeutic, so also can it be a means to influence people in a society to engage in nefarious activities.
At this juncture, it is instructive to assert that although we have our rights to sing whatever we want, it is equally important that as musicians, who are seen as a symbol of change in the society, it is important to sing songs that speak of honesty, unity, peace and togetherness.
Lack of time is a major reason why many people forego healthy eating. Fast food is readily available and it is just too tempting, and it is cheap and filling. While eating fast food is never as healthy as a well-planned, balanced diet, if you must eat fast food, you can easily take steps to improve the quality of your nutrition when on the run.
- Watch portion sizes. Your craving will likely be satisfied after you have finished a small order of fries, and you’ll save over 100 calories when compared with the super-sized order. The same holds true for sandwiches. Order the regular version or even a kid’s meal for yourself.
- Seek out deli-style fast food chains where you can order a sub or sandwich on whole wheat bread or a wrap, a lower fat and lower-calorie option than fried food.
- Many fast food chains now offer healthy sides in place of the ubiquitous French fries. Take the healthy option; or, if you cannot bear to give up the grease and salt, get the healthy side order too.
- Always, order a side salad when eating at traditional fast-food outlets. You will be less likely to fill up on only the unhealthy items, and the salad will provide some fiber and vitamins to balance an otherwise unhealthy meal.
- Remember that chicken is not always a healthy choice. Many fast food chains offer fried breaded chicken sandwiches on white bread that are actually richer in fat and calories than a burger. Grilled chicken is a better option.
- Make it a habit to eat a piece of fruit, a bowl of cereal, or some low fat yogurt before you set out to run errands. Regular eating can help you feel full and avoid temptation.
- Stock your car with bottled water and healthy snacks. Have a small snack before the cravings hit, and you are less likely to pull into that drive-through fast food outlet.
- Consider a supermarket for your fast food break. You can pick up precut and washed fresh fruit or vegetables, yogurt, or low fat cheese. Many supermarkets also offer sushi or other healthy prepared items.
- Hold the mayo. A tablespoon of regular mayonnaise has almost 100 calories!
- Don’t add a sugary, calorie-rich drink to an already unhealthy meal. Water is available everywhere and is good for you. Drinking a large glass of water with your meal will help you feel fuller earlier.