US President Donald Trump will delay a planned tariff hike on $250bn (£202.8bn) of Chinese goods as a “gesture of good will”.
In a tweet, Mr Trump said a 5% increase to duties scheduled for 1 October will be postponed for two weeks.
He said the delay had been requested by China, and also follows a move by Beijing to scrap some US tariffs.
It comes as the two sides prepare to hold fresh talks aimed at resolving their long-running trade dispute.
Last month, the US said it would increase the tariff rates on all Chinese goods, which included raising a 25% tax on $250bn of Chinese imports to 30%.
On Wednesday, Mr Trump said China’s Vice Premier Liu He had asked him to postpone the upcoming tariff increase from 1 October as the date coincided with the anniversary of the People’s Republic of China.
Earlier, China released a list of 16 US imports that will be exempted from tariffs including anti-cancer drugs and animal feed.
Significant US exports to China, like pork, soybeans and American-made cars, are among the goods that will still be hit by the hefty taxes.
The world’s largest economies have been locked in a bruising trade fight for the past year that has hurt businesses and weighed on the global economy.
Tensions escalated in recent months and Washington said it would target all Chinese imports to the US with new duties by the end of the year.
Against that backdrop, both sides are preparing to return to the negotiating table.
Preliminary meetings are set to take place later this month in Washington before US treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin and trade representative Robert Lighthizer meet China’s Mr Liu in October.
Still, some analysts argue the latest gestures by the US and China have not brought a resolution to their trade row much closer.
“A broad settlement is not in sight,” Gary Hufbauer of the Peterson Institute for International Economics said.
“Beijing is prepared for a continuation of tariffs and hostile rhetoric through 2020. And Trump cannot back down without getting a storm of criticism from the hawks, both Democrats and Republicans.”
On July 1st, 2019, a viral video broke the internet. All social media platforms in Nigeria went loose.
“Preposterous! How can the man beat a woman like that?” a lady commented on Twitter.
“He must be punished! He should face the law.” Another person passed a comment on this video.
Both young and old, influential and the less privileged, the powerful social media influencers all spoke on this video. It sparked a furious outrage. In this viral video, released by Premium Times, a Nigerian Senator – Elisha Abbo, of the Adamawa North Constituency, was seen assaulting a pregnant woman in a sex toy shop.
At first, Senator Elisha Abbo denied the allegation raised against him (despite the glaring video proof against him). He was also supported by his wife who averred her husband’s stance, asserting that her husband can never beat a woman. The Police Force were reluctant to take steps concerning the matter. Nevertheless, due to the overbearing pressure from aggrieved and angry Nigerians, the FCT Police Command detained Senator Elisha. Afterwards, Mr Elisha has released a press statement apologising and the issue seems to have died, typical of buzzing issues in the country.
Fast forward to July 5th, it was reported that Mr Elisha Abbo has been granted a bail in the sum of 5 million Naira and two sureties in like sum. This decision, taken by the FCT Magistrate Court has attracted a lot of people to raise their brows.
“Na so them dey do. They go soon throw this matter under the bus” a user comments on the issue on Nairaland, a popular news forum.
While it may be safe to defend the court’s action on the standpoint that it is too early to give judgement on the matter, it is important to remember that this issue is happening in Nigeria. It would be trite to state that Nigeria is a country that is battling at corruption at all levels; especially at the governmental level. Thus, the judiciary system is not left out from this apparent rot. From the scandals at the apex of the judiciary including the case of Onoghen, to the popular corruption cases of Dasuki and the likes, which have been reportedly thrown under the carpet; the Nigerian judiciary can be said to be one that is unfair and corrupt.
Similar to past cases associated with the socialites in the country, the present issue with Mr Elisha is no different. At first, they are granted bail by the courts, afterwards, the case is unnecessarily adjourned and dragged till the general public loses interest. With this popular ritual by the Nigerian courts, it seems like the ‘woman beater senator’ might get away with the barbaric action he displayed three months earlier.
This case of Senator Elisha Abbo is one that may makes our judiciary truly the “last hope of common man”. However, this will be if the judges at the temple of justice act in line with the rightness of their conscience.
The issue of assault, especially that of a pregnant woman, is not an issue that should be treated with the levity that plays at our courts. This is not a time for anomaly if Nigeria truly wants change. This is the period for our judiciary to start cleansing the system, and reinstitute the spirit of fear in our crème la crème. If Senator Elisha Abbo gets to be another beneficiary of our flawed judicial system, the popular parlance that “the law na for poor man” will be strengthened.
The FCT Magistrate Court in Abuja has the ball in her temple of justice. She should dispense justice and make Senator Elisha Abbo a ‘scapegoat’ that would make other people in the corridor of power, accountable. Lately, the Nigerian people have been collectively raising their voices against injustice and they have been getting vindicated. This is a good development in our country, and the court in Elsiha’s case should foster this development.
Or would the Abuja FCT Magistrate Court let injustice prevail, and let Elisha Abbo become another beneficiary of our flawed judicial system?
The world is watching!