Exfoliation of the lips helps the lips to get rid of every dead skin on it. Good oils to use in lip scrubs include jojoba oil, olive oil, or coconut oil. These are essential oils with special and unique healing properties. Mix these oils with sugar and make a paste out of it to scrub on your lips daily, this will help remove any dead skin. Another option is to brush your toothbrush against your lips each time you brush your teeth.
Moisturize your lips with lip balm, vaseline, or shea butter. Moisturizing your lips helps to eradicate chapped lips and properly hydrate your lips. Lip glosses too would help serve this function very well. Your lips get easily dry because, unlike the other parts of your body, your lip skin cell do not produce oil or sebum. An effective lip moisturizer needs to do what sebum, your skin’s natural oil, does for the rest of your skin, which is keeping moisture in and protecting your lips from any drying environmental conditions.
Ensure you wipe your lipstick away before sleeping every night. You can opt for a simple night lip care routine. This is because you might not be able to do that during the day while wearing your favorite lipstick color. This routine involves you simply dab a little amount of lip balm or gloss on your lips before sleeping. There are other night routines as some beauty brands now produce products specially meant for this purpose. It is worthy if a note to state that this can be done during the day when your lips are by chance bare. Just be super cautious to do this when your lips have lipstick on it.
1. With a metallic colored jewelry. To perfectly rock jewelry, let one of the jewelry elements make a statement piece. If your earring is making a statement, skip or make the other elements (like the neckpiece)subtle.
2. A solid-colored jacket, either in black or in any other color. I will prefer a flashy color though. A colorful jacket would be most important if the dress, footwear and all other things that are worn are in color black. The colored jacket would serve as an element of color to make the outfit pop.
3. A footwear in any other color asides black.
4. A colorful sunglasses. Whether it is the rim, frame, or lens, there should be an element of color.
5. A colorful hair, especially if the dress and footwear are in black. The trick is to add an element of color, in order to make your outfit pop.
6. A statement earring. While trying to achieve this, do not forget the basic rule. It is either a statement earring or a statement necklace, but not both! Keep one subtle instead.
From luxury beard oils to tasty, pocket-friendly lip balms, more products have hit shelves with men in mind. Now the dude-specific skin care industry has been more on-point than ever. Which is great — but the influx might also leave you feeling at a loss for what to buy.
“Choosing skin care is often as easy as trial and error,” Kwan says. “If possible, buy products from a store that allows returns, or start with samples.”
If you’re still at a loss for what to put in your medicine cabinet, one way to play around with products is to order a subscription or sample box that sends you a selection of travel sizes based on your preferences.
Managing skin irritation and eruptions
Bumpy textures are usually the biggest concern guys face when it comes to skin care, Kwan says. He often treats men for razor burn, ingrown hairs, or pimples.
Shaving is one of the most common causes of irritation, but a proper skin care routine in conjunction with shaving can improve skin.
“Start with something simple, like a salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide wash in the shower daily,” says Kwan. This type of cleanser will help treat most bumps, like folliculitis, ingrown hairs, and acne. “I do recommend electric razors if you get ingrowns or too irritated from shaving. They tend to be a bit easier on the skin.”
Should you choose salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide?
- Salicylic acid acts as pre-shave exfoliant because it removes dead cells from pores and the skin’s surface. It’s also an anti-inflammatory agent and antioxidant that can combat redness and damage.
- Benzoyl peroxide battles bacteria that may cause bumps, but it’s harsher and might make sensitive skin sting or burn.
The market for men’s personal grooming products is projected to grow to more than $60 billion by the end of the decade. That stat should tell you that more guys are giving up outdated ideas skin care and pampering should be left to the gals.
Research shows that skin concerns or disorders can affect self-image, relationships, and performance. But it’s never too late to develop a skin care routine.
A master thesis out of Karlstad University in Sweden found that men, from ages 15 to 45, are taking control of their appearance and hygiene and embracing ideas of self-care. Guys are buying products as a way to solve skin issues and boost self-esteem.
Working to solve skin concerns, if any, gives you a bit of control over them and helps you build confidence.