3 reasons why you should consider wearing a classic men’s hat
1. Functional. So if you go back and you think about when men wore hats like this, especially it was very fashionable, so it was easy for us to wear it because everyone else was doing it, but they wore it primarily because it was functional, because it actually kept the rain, the wind — everything. It kept all of this.
5 things to look for when you’re buying a hat
1. Material. What is it made from? Is it made from straw? Is it made from felt?
Now, felt, in case you’re wondering, that’s actually where they take a lot of — basically wool, and then they mat it down. They form a material from it, which is then shaped — they shape the hat with that. There are other things and I’ll go into that into a later video.
2. Shape of the hat, I started to talk about that. The shape of a classic hat is going to determine the style. We’re going to talk about nine styles, so I’m not going to go too much into this, but the shape.
4. Quality of the build. Was it made by a machine? Was it made by hand? Is this something you’re going to pick up at Target for $12 or is this something you’re going to have handmade like that woman I was talking about, Satya?
She makes all of hers by hand in New York City, so I think there’s a huge range. I really recommend that if you are getting into this, that you work with a professional and that you’re confident.
Now, you can play around and many of us have worn caps for function, but I really advice looking at a quality hat if you’re serious about bringing in a classic piece.
5. Price. Now, why did I put price last? Well, because if you’re really looking at a hat, I would rather you spend — you could spend $20 on something that you wear once and you don’t like, or spend $120 on something that you love and that you wear hundreds of times.
Think about that. The one that you spend 20 bucks on cost you $20.
The one that you spent $120 on but you wore hundreds of times cost you less than 50 cents a wear.
Okay, guys, let’s dive into the styles. To start this off, I’m going to go ahead and I’m going to bring in a hat.
I want you guys to look at this, maybe give me your opinion in the comments. What does this look like? I get it. I don’t wear hats very often, so I probably could tilt to the side, but we’ll give you guys a quick look at this right here.